Monday, August 23, 2010

Pay attention to the littlest details

Kuya Konduktor of the Ortigas-Roosevelt

I took a bus going to a job interview one sunny afternoon.

While waiting for the call of Kuya Konduktor who I asked to signal me if when we go by Ortigas-Roosevelt, I decided to take a peek into George Gabriel's Love Life. Every page was very delighting that I became engrossed reading it. Hence, I become totally dependent on Kuya Konduktor's call for my time to get off the bus to my destination. 

After minutes of traffic and a series of bus stops, I looked out at the window and saw a blue building with a signage on it: Ortigas-Roosevelt.

Abruptly, I stood up, called for a halt of the bus and struggled to walk in the middle of the its inertia. I was alarmed that I was about to just pass by the place where I was supposed to go. I was about to blame Kuya Konduktor for he did not do his service well to a passenger in his bus, but I thought that I also committed the fault of being totally dependent on him. I, myself, must guard my way and beware of the road I went past every now and then. 

From this, I learned the importance of paying attention to the littlest details.


**********

Kuya Guard and the Applicants' Examination

I went up the 4th floor of the building where I was asked to proceed for the applicants' examination. Taking the elevator from the second to the fourth floor, I walked inches past by the guard who stood parallel the elevator doorway.

He asked, "exam po Ma'am?" "Opo, sa Testing Room 1 po," I responded, lunging towards a table with a matrix of names and details of various people. I looked closely at it, hoping to find my name on the list. Barely minding Kuya Guard's words, he uttered, "Ma'am, makinig po muna kase." I looked at him and saw a dint of irritation in his eyes. He pointed to the table where I needed to sign up my name - a meter or two apart from the one I was gazing at. Trying hard to maintain my politeness and making up for an "unpoliteness", I said, "Ah, ok. Sige po, thank you po!" and followed his instructions.

From this, I yet again learned the importance of paying attention to the littlest details. More importantly, the merit of the art of listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment