Monday, August 2, 2010

When I told Papa I already have a Boyfriend

We went to my cousins’ double birthday celebration yesterday afternoon. Mama and I came a bit late; fortunately, a table was reserved for us. And so when we arrived, we went straight to it at once.

I thought Papa was already inside the fast food chain because his car was already parked outside. Nonetheless, he was not. Mama said he was still watching the day’s horse race at a nearby restaurant. Minutes later, he arrived. He sat at the vacant space on the couch where I was seated.

We started munching on the spaghetti and chicken we had on our table. Mama and Papa talked about some things, until Mama told him, “May boyfriend na ‘yan… sinagot na niya (her gaze moving from Papa to me).” He did not hear at once; she reiterated. At her second utterance, he turned to me – with widened eyes straightly looking unto mine. I responded with a giggle, “Opo :D.” He exclaimed, “Siguraduhin mo lang na ‘di ka sasaktan non! Baka ikaw pa bumuhay ‘don!” “Wala pa kasing ganon,” I answered.

Apparently, what I have in mind right now is the feeling of having a good friendship with a good guy friend who I call my boyfriend – no more, no less. I am currently embracing each moment, each time that I get to spend with him because I believe God has given him to me to teach me something; consequently, I to him. We have been angels to each other – apart from I being a girlfriend to him, and he being a boyfriend to me.

However, I do understand Papa’s concern – her little girl now a lady, truly. With his unceasing trust, I have learned to be responsible. That is why, with this new relationship that I have, I ought to be responsible.

I would never ever forget how Papa’s eyes widened when I told him I already have a boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment